Are you a young carer, or do you look after a spouse, parent, relative or friend?


At each of our four sites we have a carers' lead who is there to help you with any questions or queries you may have and provide help with gathering information and seeking advice. The name of the individual carers lead is displayed on the carers' information board at their site. Our carers leads also work hard to provide events throughout the year to keep you in touch with any changes, for example they may have a 'tea & chat' afternoon session where relevant speakers attend to provide you with information, or have just a social event for you and the person you care for. If you are interested in joining our carers register please contact reception.


Are You a Carer?


That is, do you provide regular and substantial care for a person who is frail, elderly or disabled? Knowing that you are a carer will help our staff to give you information, support and advice if you need it. The doctor will also be able to take this into account when treating you andr the person you care for. When you contact the surgery for appointments we will try to offer you a convenient time for you and the person you care for to fit in with your caring responsibilities.
As a carer you may be entitled to:


  • A carer’s assessment from Social Services if you are undertaking a substantial amount of care on a regular basis. This assessment is free and open to all carers regardless of financial circumstances. You will get information and advice and be able to find out about services including help with personal care, day care, short-term sitting and respite care, equipment and home adaptations, emergency schemes, Blue Badges for parking, carers groups events. Contact the Social Service Department where the cared for person lives to ask for an assessment; Poole 01202 633902. Purbeck 01929 555210.
  • Benefits for Carers\Cared for person. Everyone’s situation is different, some benefits depend on your savings and income, others are unaffected by your financial position. We strongly recommend you contact the appropriate agency to see if you\the cared for are entitled to any financial assistance. Contact the Department of Work and Pensions; Over 60years 0800 991234; under 60 years 0800 0556688.
  • General carer’s information and someone to talk to. Help and Care is a local charity providing information on over 40 topics of interest to Carers. If you want to find out about how services work, where to get equipment, care\nursing home services, holidays for carers\cared for, wills\power of attorney\trust funds, transport, course or support groups etc you can talk to an advisor. The service is based locally and is confidential. If you just need someone to talk about your situation the advisor will try to help and reassure you. Telephone 0845 500 418.

Dorset Carers Hub

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website